Who doesn’t like pancakes? Especially when they are protein pancakes! To celebrate Pancake Day, we have come up with an easy to follow recipe that will take you no more than 10-15 minutes to prepare a bunch of healthy and delicious pancakes. Yes, nutritious and delicious can go hand by hand.
(10 small pancakes)
- 100g raw oats
- 2 whole eggs
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g whey protein
- 1 teaspoon olive oil/15g butter (plus a bit more for greasing the pan)
- Crack the eggs in a blender and add the remaining ingredients while blending for about 10 seconds after each added ingredient. This way you will avoid clumps and ensure that all ingredients are being properly mixed. This is especially the case when you are using oats, since they are much more difficult to blend and soak up the liquid.
- Turn on the hob and place the pan to heat up.
- Keep blending until you have a lovely, smooth batter. Instead of blending for whole 30-40 seconds, you might split it up into 10 second sessions. This is a more efficient way to mix up the ingredients. If this seems like too much hassle, then you might consider going for the P28 Pancake Mix. All you need to do is add some water or milk and the mixture is ready! Can’t get any easier than that…
- Pour some olive oil on the pan or add butter. This is to avoid the pancakes sticking to the pan. It will also make the pancakes softer and more delicious.
- Cook for just under a minute or until the edges start browning. Use a spatula to check how it’s cooking.
- And now the best part – flipping the pancake! If you’ve never done that before I would suggest to practice first or otherwise be prepared to see a pancake or two on the floor.
- Cook the other side for about 30 seconds.
- When the pancake is golden on both sides, it is ready to jump to your plate.
This is the part where you can go really creative. You can add anything from summer fruits to maple syrup, from peanut butter to any protein spread. My personal favourite topping is P28 Signature Blend or White Chocolate from P28 Foods… they taste absolutely amazing! I am yet to try the Banana Raisin flavour, but I presume it would be equally good (if not even more). Apart from being very delicious, those spreads are also packed with additional protein, which makes them a great option.
If you are keeping a strict low-calorie diet and you cannot afford the extra calories from the spreads, then you might consider Walden Farms Syrups, which contain exactly 0 calories… regardless of the amount you use! And yes, they have Pancake Syrup, which tastes exactly like Maple Syrup. For the Chocolate fans, you can choose between Chocolate Peanut Spread or Chocolate Syrup. They are both great.
Finally, pancakes are not just for Pancake Day. You shouldn’t forbid yourself eating the stuff you love. All you need to do is just find a healthier way to prepare that dish. Once you find out how to make delicious healthy pancakes, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t have them every now and then. On the top of that, those pancakes will help you more easily overcome those cravings you might be having during the week!
Enjoy your pancakes!
© 2015, predatornutrition. All rights reserved.